The available courses for Credit by Exam may change over time. To see if a course has the option to earn Credit by Exam, look in the UA Course Catalog. In the course description of a particular course, you should see a Course Attribute that says "Special Exam Credit Only" if the Credit by Exam option is offered. If this course attribute is not stated, then Credit by Exam is not offered for that course.
- Applications for Special Examination for Credit or Special Examination for Grade may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar (Admin. 210) or download it here.
- The application must be approved by the student's advisor.
- The examining instructor and the head of the examining department must determine the eligibility of the applicant and sign the application.
- The application is returned to the Office of the Registrar, and the $21-per-unit fee is paid at the Bursar's Office (University Services Bldg 104). No department may schedule a special examination until notified by the Bursar's Office that the fee has been paid.
- Please return the paper showing the fee was paid to the Math Department Rm. 108.
- The examination is scheduled by the faculty member responsible, normally during the same semester in which the application is made.
- The grade ("CR" or letter grade) is reported to the Office of the Registrar. The examination, together with the student's graded examination paper and any appropriate evaluations of oral performance or projects, is then filed with the department for at least one year.